Ok, so this is not a dessert, but it is always important to balance out a sweets filled life with some healthy meals. This is one of my favorite meals to make for dinner, especially since it makes so much, I get left overs for the next few days! I use lean ground turkey, tons of veggies, no added butter, cream or any unnecessary calories and substitutions like non-fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream for the toppings (HEALTHY)... and not to mention you just throw everything into one big pot (SIMPLE) and it only cooks for 30 minutes on the stove top (QUICK)! Win, win, no?
It is really easy to make. Cook your ground turkey in a skillet and the veggies in a big pot!
Add the turkey! I use lean ground turkey to keep it light and healthy!
Next add the rest of it... we have tomato paste, diced tomatoes with green chilis, seasoning, chicken broth (or veggie broth- can use low sodium broth or even water instead), a can of slightly mashed red kidney beans and black beans.
Give it a good mix. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and watch the flavors meld together for a delicious, hearty and healthy chili!
Top with sliced scallions or chives, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, lite sour cream or plain non-fat greek yogurt, grated low-fat cheese, tortilla chips or anything you like! Refrigerate leftovers, heat and serve the next day or for an easy lunch or snack!
30 Minute Stove Top Turkey Vegetable Chili
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray
- 1.5lbs lean ground turkey, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, about 2 cups finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, about 2 cups chopped
- 2 bell peppers, about 2 cups chopped
- 1-2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis (or add 4oz can mild green chilis)
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed and slightly mashed
- 1 (15oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can yellow corn
- 1 teaspoon honey or brown sugar
- 1.25oz-2oz taco seasoning (I like French’s Original Taco Seasoning 1.25oz packet)*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
- 1/8 teaspoons red pepper flakes, optional
- Garnish: Sliced scallions or chives, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, lite sour cream or plain non-fat greek yogurt, grated low-fat cheese, tortilla chips, optional
*May substitute the following homemade taco seasoning: 2T chili powder, 1T cumin, 2t salt, 2t pepper, 2t cornstarch, 1t paprika, 1t garlic powder, 1/2t onion powder, 1/2t oregano, 1/4-1/2 cayenne or red pepper flakes
Heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil or cooking spray in a skillet over medium heat and cook turkey until evenly brown.
While they turkey is cooking, add 1 tablespoon of oil or cooking spray to a large pot and cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir zucchini and peppers into the pot and cook 2-3 more minutes. Once turkey is cooked add it to the pot of veggies, followed by the broth, crushed and diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, corn, honey, seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 30 minutes (Simmer an extra 15 minutes if desired for a deeper flavor).
Chili will thicken as it cools. Top with garnish of choice, serve warm and enjoy! Refrigerate any leftovers.
Want more dinner recipes?!
Easy Mexican Shredded Chicken (perfect for burritos, tacos, nachos, soups and more!)
Chicken Parmesan Crescent Rolls (with low fat option)
Red Wine Braised Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions and Carrots