After making my Cookies & Cream Brownies, I just had to create the cupcake version of everyone's favorite cookie!
The frosting tastes just like the center of an Oreo, which for me is like heaven. When I was a kid I used to scrape off the cream filling and pile it up as tall as I could between 2 cookies, I couldn't get enough. Piled high on a fudgy chocolate cupcake and topped with a rich chocolate fudge glaze and a mini Oreo cookie. These cupcakes are a favorite of kids and adults alike!
Check out my baking 101 section for helpful tips, tricks & more
Yield: 12 cupcakes or 24 minis (also makes a 6"-9" cake layer)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (105g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder, dutch processed
- 1 cup (200g) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water (or 1/2 cup coffee)
Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons cream, half & half or milk, to thin
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegetable shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' (powdered) sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cookie crumbs (about 6 Oreos)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 baking cups (or 24 minis). In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa and sugar, mixing until fully combined. In a measuring cup lightly whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Using a whisk or wooden spoon, gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Dissolve espresso powder in the boiling water and immediately fold into batter. Do not over-mix. Batter will be very thin and runny.
Distribute all of the batter, filling almost up to the top, between all of the baking cups. Bake standard size cupcakes for 16-18 minutes and minis for 8-10 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling and frosting.
Prepare Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
Prepare Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
In a bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt chocolate, butter and corn syrup until smooth. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and cream. Let cool and spoon on top of frosted cupcakes. (You can also use the microwave by heating chocolate butter and corn syrup on 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.)
With an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening on medium speed until smooth. Alternately beat in powdered sugar and cream until smooth. Add vanilla and salt. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes until light and creamy. Fold in cookie crumbs.
For standard size cupcakes, I use a piece of a whole Oreo cookie for garnish and skipped the chocolate glaze for a quick simple alternative.
Check out more of our fan photos created by YOU, our readers!
Give it a try and be sure to share a picture of your creation with me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or email a photo to MyCreation@dollhousebakeshoppe.com to have your recreation featured in the Fan Photo album!
PS: Have you heard the news? Drumroll please...
I LAUNCHED MY VERY OWN YOUTUBE VIDEO SERIES,
WHERE I WILL BE SHARING MY FAVORITE SMALL-BATCH DESSERT RECIPES, BAKING 101 TIPS, FESTIVE PARTY TREAT TUTORIALS & MORE!
CHECK OUT MY TRAILER VIDEO BELOW, OR CLICK HERE TO VIEW IT ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!