After making my Cookies & Cream Brownies, I just had to create the cupcake version of everyone's favorite cookie!
The frosting tastes just like the center of an Oreo, which for me is like heaven. When I was a kid I used to scrape off the cream filling and pile it up as tall as I could between 2 cookies, I couldn't get enough. Piled high on a fudgy chocolate cupcake and topped with a rich chocolate fudge glaze and a mini Oreo cookie. These cupcakes are a favorite of kids and adults alike!
Check out baking tips, tricks & ingredient substitutions.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes:
Yield: 8 standard or 2 dozen mini cupcakes
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk OR 1/3 cup whole milk mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/3 cup boiling water
Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons cream, half & half or milk, to thin
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegetable shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' (powdered) sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cookie crumbs (about 6 Oreos)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 8 standard size baking cups or 24 minis.
In a large bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a measuring cup lightly whisk together buttermilk (or milk and vinegar), oil, egg, and vanilla. Using a whisk or wooden spoon, gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Dissolve espresso powder in the boiling water and immediately fold into batter. Do not over-mix. Batter will be very thin.
Distribute all of the batter, filling almost up to the top, between 8 standard size cups (about 1/4 cup batter each) or 24 mini baking cups (about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter each). Bake standard size cupcakes for 16-22 minutes and minis for 8-10 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Prepare Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
In a bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt chocolate, butter and corn syrup until smooth. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and cream. Let cool and spoon on top of frosted cupcakes. (You can also use the microwave by heating chocolate butter and corn syrup on 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.)
With an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening on medium speed until smooth. Alternately beat in powdered sugar and cream until smooth. Add vanilla and salt. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes until light and creamy. Fold in cookie crumbs.
For standard size cupcakes, I use a piece of a whole Oreo cookie for garnish and skipped the chocolate glaze for a quick simple alternative.
If you enjoyed this post I'd love for you to share it using the share buttons below, or spread the word on your blog/website by posting one of the photos above with a link back to this page for the complete post. Thanks so much. Enjoy!