These granola bars are so good and so versatile! They taste like a slice of pumpkin pie mixed with warm spices of Autumn and the chewy goodness of an on-the-go chocolate chip granola bar. If you prefer a lower sugar, healthier option, you can cut the sugar in half, and use a fruit puree like mashed banana or applesauce in place of the oil for a low-fat alternative with natural sweeteners from the fruit! The best part is there is no egg or dairy and can easily be made gluten free for a perfect Fall lunch box addition, pre workout snack, or morning grab-and-go breakfast!
These granola bars are so simple to make you may never buy another box from the grocery store again! Kids will also love adding their own mix-ins to customize their own bars. They are a perfect snack to take along on an Autumn stroll through the park or a quick afternoon snack.
To start, simply mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Pour into your prepared 8" pan.
Press down into the pan for even bars.
Bake until golden.
Cool and cut into bars.
You can even whip up a mini batch in no time by cutting the recipe in half and baking in a small loaf pan for a quick and easy 4 bar recipe!
Yield: 8 bars (For 4 bars cut recipe in half, follow directions below and bake in an 8x4 inch loaf pan)
- 1 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour/finely ground oats (may use whole wheat or all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. ginger, 1/8 t. nutmeg, 1/8 t. cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Optional 1/4 cup mix-ins of your choice such as: wheat germ, dried fruits like cranberries, apricots, cherries, or raisins; chopped nuts like walnuts, peanuts or almonds; seeds like sunflower, sesame, pumpkin or flax; even fun additions like crushed pretzel or graham cracker pieces, white chocolate chips, shredded coconut flakes, M&M's, or candy pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil*
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (may substitute honey or corn syrup)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree (100% canned or fresh pumpkin, NOT canned pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper or foil (along the bottom and up the sides of the pan) for easy removal.
In a medium size bowl combine oats, flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt. Toss in chocolate chips, pecans and mix-ins of your choice. In a separate bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combine. Gently press into prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes until lightly golden.
Let cool and remove from pan by lifting by the parchment or foil. Cut into bars or use a cookie cutter to create fun shapes. Store in an air tight container or zip lock baggies at room temperature. Enjoy!