These brownies are sooo good. I just topped my rich, decadent fudgy brownies with a sweet Oreo cookie buttercream frosting that tastes just like the center of an Oreo! All you need with these is a tall glass of milk ;)
Cookies & Cream Brownies
Yield: 16 brownies (For a smaller batch, cut recipe in half and bake in an 8x4 inch loaf pan. For a larger batch, double recipe and bake in a 9x13 inch pan)
Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4oz.) butter, melted (browned for maximum flavor)
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup (48g) packed brown sugar
- 6oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (1 cup chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (90g) flour, weighed or spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cookies & Cream Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegetable shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' (powdered) sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cookie crumbs (about 6 Oreos)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. To brown the butter, continue to cook, stirring constantly, until brown specks start to appear at the bottom of the pan and butter has turned a light amber color, giving off a nutty aroma (about 5-7 minutes).
Reduce heat to low and add the sugars, chocolate, and cocoa, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and stir for about a minute to cool mixture. Mix in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir vigorously for about 1-2 minutes until batter becomes thick, smooth and shiny. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for about 35-45 minutes. An inserted toothpick will come out with moist crumbs sticking to it. Do not over bake. Cool brownies completely in the pan on a cooling rack before cutting. Once completely cool, slice and serve.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening on medium speed until smooth. Alternately beat in powdered sugar and cream until smooth. Add vanilla and salt. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes until light and creamy. Fold in cookie crumbs and frost cooled brownies.