CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE
These cupcakes are based off of my red velvet cupcakes. They have a slight hint of cocoa and a deep green hue that make them a perfect vessel for a light fluffy pillow of cream cheese frosting.
The cupcake batter is really simple to whip together and makes the most vibrant, festive, green cupcakes.
While the cupcakes bake, make some fruit slice gummy shamrocks to top your cupcakes.
Roll out your green gummy candy on top of sugar to keep it from getting sticky until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutter to cut out 3 hearts per shamrock. Roll a small piece of gummy candy into a stem shape. Stick each piece together using the stickiness of the cut edges as a "glue".
Ready for topping!
Pipe a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top, roll in sprinkles, pipe a little more frosting on top and finish it off with a shamrock.
How much fun are these?!
Green Velvet Cupcakes
Yield: about 12 cupcakes
Green Velvet Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 (140g) cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon (10g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (.5oz) green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4oz cream cheese (1/2 an 8oz block), room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1/2lb) powdered sugar, sifted
For the cupcakes:
Distribute the batter between the baking cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (About 10 minutes for mini cupcakes). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Beat in cream cheese (make sure they are both at room temperature so you do not get lumps in your frosting). Add vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Pipe or spread on top of cooled cupcakes. Add gold sprinkles and shamrock gummies.