Rich fudgey chocolate cupcakes, topped with a cool, peppermint cream cheese frosting. Perfect for Holiday parties or a winter time treat!
Yield: 8 standard or 2 dozen mini cupcakes
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk OR 1/3 cup whole milk mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/3 cup boiling water
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract -OR- 1/2 teaspoon finely crushed candy canes/peppermint candies
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
- Crushed peppermint candies or a mini candy cane for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake or muffin pan with 12 baking cups.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 8 standard size baking cups or 24 minis.
In a large bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a measuring cup lightly whisk together buttermilk (or milk and vinegar), oil, egg, and vanilla. Using a whisk or wooden spoon, gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Dissolve espresso powder in the boiling water and immediately fold into batter. Do not over-mix. Batter will be very thin.
Distribute all of the batter, filling almost up to the top, between 8 standard size cups (about 1/4 cup batter each) or 24 mini baking cups (about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter each). Bake standard size cupcakes for 16-22 minutes and minis for 8-10 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth (make sure they are both at room temperature so you do not get lumps in your frosting). Add vanilla and peppermint until you reach your desired flavor. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
Top your cupcakes with crushed peppermint candy or a candy cane.
If you enjoyed this post I'd love for you to share it using the share buttons below, or spread the word on your blog/website by posting one of the photos above with a link back to this page for the complete post. Thanks so much. Enjoy!