Rich fudgy chocolate cupcakes, topped with a cool, creamy peppermint cream cheese frosting. Perfect for Holiday parties or a winter time treat!
Check out my baking 101 section for helpful tips, tricks & more
Yield: 12 cupcakes or 24 minis (also makes a 6"-9" cake layer)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (105g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder, dutch processed
- 1 cup (200g) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water (or 1/2 cup coffee)
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract -OR- 1/2 teaspoon finely crushed candy canes/peppermint candies
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
- Crushed peppermint candies or a mini candy cane for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 baking cups (or 24 minis). In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa and sugar, mixing until fully combined. In a measuring cup lightly whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Using a whisk or wooden spoon, gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Dissolve espresso powder in the boiling water and immediately fold into batter. Do not over-mix. Batter will be very thin and runny.
Distribute all of the batter, filling almost up to the top, between all of the baking cups. Bake standard size cupcakes for 16-18 minutes and minis for 8-10 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling and frosting.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth (make sure they are both at room temperature so you do not get lumps in your frosting). Add vanilla and peppermint until you reach your desired flavor. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
Top your cupcakes with crushed peppermint candy or a candy cane.Pin It