Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 12 standard cupcakes
For mini cupcakes, follow directions below and bake 10-12 minutes. To make a two layer cake, double the recipe and prepare batter as directed. Grease two 8" cake pans, and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or maple extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake or muffin pan with 12 baking cups.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, pumpkin, sugars and oil. Gently mix the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combine. Do not over mix. Fold in nuts if desired. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth (make sure they are both at room temperature so you do not get lumps in your frosting). Add vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and cinnamon if desired. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
Frost cooled cupcakes and top with gumdrop pumpkins.
To make gumdrop pumpkins, simply use orange gumdrops for the pumpkin and roll out green gumdrops into leaves, stems and vines.