Today is National Fudge Day! Now, making a classic fudge can be very tricky. It requires a candy thermometer and is a very delicate recipe that requires your full attention and can take up to 45 min. to prepare. It is usually made by mixing sugar, butter, and milk and heating it to what is known as the "soft-ball stage" in candy making, followed by beating the mixture to cool it to the perfect temperature. This can be difficult for beginners and very time consuming perfecting the perfect texture and appearance. But... If you read my blog, you know I always try to come up with a shortcut to all of your favorite desserts and confections. So here's my 4 minute fudge recipe for all the busy moms, at home bakers looking for a quick and simple alternative, or chocoholics like me, who simply can't wait to sink their teeth into something rich, creamy, and decadent. This recipe is so simple, yet fool proof and will result in a smooth creamy texture every time, without having to worry about cooling properly or boiling a sugar syrup which can cause crystallization, resulting in a grainy fudge. The best part about this quick & easy fudge recipe is it can be made into just about any flavor combination you desire, using different flavored chocolate chips or by adding flavored extracts or mix-in's!
Try making our classic Black & white combo, or get creative and try combinations of fudge like strawberry and white chocolate for "straberries & cream fudge cups", dark chocolate orange, or classics like oreo and peanut butter fudge! The combinations I made above are strawberry/chocolate "chocolate dipped strawberry fudge", confetti/chocolate fudge "birthday cake fudge", coconut/chocolate almond "almond joy fudge", espresso/chocolate "mocha fudge", Oreo/chocolate "Cookies & Cream fudge", peanut butter/chocolate "choco pb fudge".
"Cupcake" Fudge Bites
- 1 1/2 cups (9oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups (9oz.) white chocolate chips*
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- *Flavor Variations
- Peanut Butter Fudge: Sub peanut butter morsels for white chocolate chips or add 1/4 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter in with white or semisweet chocolate chips.
- Butterscotch Fudge: Sub butterscotch morsels for half of the white chocolate chips.
- Fruity Fudge (strawberry, raspberry, orange, etc.): Add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fruit flavored extract/flavoring in white chocolate fudge. Add a drop of food coloring to distinguish color of fruit flavor.
- Almond Joy: Add 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract in your white chocolate fudge. Top with an almond.
- Espresso Fudge: Add 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder to white chocolate fudge.
- Cookies & Cream Fudge: Add 1/2 cup crushed Oreos to white chocolate fudge.
- Confetti Fudge: Add 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles to white chocolate fudge.
- Mix-ins: Add 1/2 cup nuts, toffee, dried cranberries, crushed peppermint, marshmallows etc. to your fudge.
Line a mini muffin/cupcake pan with baking cups.
Note: For 2 layered fudge squares, line a 8x8" square pan with wax paper or foil. Make fudge as directed, spreading and layering fudge into prepared pan to chill. Cut into squares once fudge has cooled and set.
Prepare Bottom Layer (semi-sweet chocolate fudge):
Melt semisweet chocolate, half the can of sweetened condensed milk (7oz.) and butter in a double boiler or microwave. Add a pinch of salt and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and any desired flavor variations above. Stir until fairly smooth and scoop fudge into mini muffin cups using a spoon or a mini ice cream scoop and press tops flat. Mixture will be thick. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Prepare Top Layer (white chocolate or flavor variation of your choice):
Melt white chocolate chips and remaining half the can of sweetened condensed milk (7oz.) in a double boiler or microwave until about half of the chocolate chips have melted. Remove from heat and keep stirring until remaining morsels have melted. Add a pinch of salt and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and any desired flavor variations above.
Remove bottom layer from the freezer. Scoop the top layer/white chocolate fudge into a decorating bag and pipe on top for a swirled "frosting" look, or you can spoon it on top, and smooth it with a knife.
Garnish with toppings, if desired. Refrigerate your "Cupcake" Fudge Bites for 2-3 hours, until firm, before serving.
Try creating your own fun flavors to sweeten up any holiday party or event, like creamsicle fudge for summer or candy cane fudge for the holidays. They package up nicely for gift giving or display on a platter. However you enjoy them, this quick and easy recipe will be a sure hit at any occasion!
|Chocolate PB fudge bottom/pink white chocolate fudge top by Amanda I. in Georgia|