Everyone loves a warm slice of gingerbread or a a crunchy gingerbread cookie... but how could I not combine the soft fluffiness of a cupcake with the warm spices and real molasses of a classic gingerbread. Topped off with a smooth cream cheese frosting, and you have a delicious twist on a traditional holiday classic.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg plus 1 yolk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup hot water
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, optional
- Gingerbread sprinkles or crushed gingerbread cookies for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups.
In a large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. With an electric mixer, beat in softened butter and oil on medium speed until the mixture resembles moist crumbs, about 1 minute. Beat in egg and egg yolk, followed by the molasses.
Slowly add half of the water and beat about 1 minutes until batter is smooth and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add remaining water and beat about 30 seconds until incorporated.
Distribute batter between the baking cups and bake for 16-20 minutes (10-12 minutes for minis) or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth (make sure they are both at room temperature so you do not get lumps in your frosting). Add vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add some fresh lemon zest/juice if desired.